Monday 28 January 2013

INSTAGRAM WANKER

...is my new title, apparently. But then, not everyone on Twitter should be taken seriously. Don't even know why I have the bloody thing...

But I digress. First of all, holy shit its 2013 already - so much to do and so little time. Critical and Cultural studies has to be uh... studied, my studio practice needs to keep moving, I need to get myself a placement, a dissertation proposal of 1,500 words has to be written... 

This is going to be bloody insane.

Speaking of studio practice, here's some my latest work shot with - you guessed it - that infamous photography app, Instagram. 




Instagram and I have something of a love-hate relationship going on here. On the one hand, I love how I can quickly and easily produce some rather tasty looking photos and share them with the world. On the other, I hate how it makes me sift through hundreds of crap photos of someone's breakfast in order to find a good picture, and how it can instantly digitally reproduce analogue techniques or media that take years to master. 

Having said this however - what can be defined as "good" and "shit" is extremely open to interpretation these days.... maybe these people are the next wave of modern artists, elevating the dish of breakfast to an all new social and cultural platform. Does Instagram and other modern technology devalue the art of the photograph? Or is it just me being elitist? 

Say. That sounds like a good dissertation title. AWESOME.

I did print those negatives in the end, and they shall be uploaded as soon as I can get them back from my assessors. I wrote on the negs, scribbled on them, scratched them. Some of the results were quite effective, but most of them were very obvious - it was quite clear that I had overthought the production of the prints, and according to my tutors my more ambiguous works are much better. Say for example, that photo of a door from the Empty series:



Despite it's practically "empty" subject matter, there's so much going on in that photo - you can attach a number of different narratives to it, and even though it is merely a banal white door against a white wall, there is something unnerving about it - part of the reason why I photographed it in the first place.

So I'm going to do some more of these "empty" photographs. Although I'm gonna stick to people I think; keep it free and spontaneous, and maybe attach a narrative to the photos. Should be interesting to see what kind of juxtapositions I can achieve - for example, a sneaky photo of someone I don't get on with could end up looking quite serene and flattering. 

But enough waffling. I must go; my planet needs me.

Keep it metal y'all.

- Padfoot

No comments:

Post a Comment